Tuesday 7 May 2013

Varya Kolesnikova's BABAY Illustrations


As a parent, I recall the joy of seeking out the unusual and beautiful when shopping around for picture books for my son. Sadly, that time is passed but recently, I discovered Russian illustrator Varya Kolesnikova's work on Anna Glyanchenko's Babay and love the tone, abstraction and palette. Between Varya, me and Google translate, we managed to muster up the following introduction to Varya and Babay.

"My name is Varya Kolesnikova. I live and work in St. Petersburg. As a child, I wanted to be a writer, then a policeman, then a veterinarian and cynologist, and a writer again. But it happened that I graduated from the philological faculty and became an illustrator.
I love to illustrate children's books. I love to create worlds in pictures in which you can immerse in like in a warm bath with almond foam so you can forget about reality. Babay, written by Anna Glyanchenko, is living in just such a world. This is a story about the friendship between a boy and a ... fur. It tells how the imagined becomes real, warm, soft and alive. It is not just an old tattered fur that falls out from the closet but big and kind Babay who quietly comes to tea."
Also note that it's worth having a look at her fantastic illustrations for Rudyard Kipling's Rikki Tikki Tavi as well as her other work.





Links:
Varya Kolesnikova (Behance)



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...